BARBECUED ASPARAGUS WITH RAPESEED MAYONNAISE
By Galton Blackiston, owner and chef patron of the Michelin-starred Morston Hall County House Hotel and Restaurant.
A simple yet delicious way to enjoy the first-of-the-season asparagus, paired with a delicate rapeseed oil mayonnaise. If you haven't already got the barbeque out, try using a griddle pan or cooking the asparagus under the grill.
- For the asparagus
- 12 spears Spilmans asparagus
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 pinches Maldon sea salt
- For the rapeseed mayonnaise
- 500ml rapeseed oil
- 2 Cacklebean egg yolks
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper
Add to Cart
You can add all the main ingredients, if they are in stock, to your cart for an effortless way to re-produce this recipe.
To make the mayonnaise
- To make the mayonnaise, place the egg yolks, mustard and lemon juice in a food processor and whizz on a high setting. Turn the machine down to a low setting and slowly add the rapeseed oil - make sure the mixture does not spilt.
- Once all the rapeseed oil has been added, turn off the food processor and pour the contents into a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and transfer to the fridge until needed.
For the asparagus
- Trim the asparagus of their woody bases.
- Place the asparagus into a large bowl. Pour in a few drops of rapeseed oil and 2 pinches of salt, mix to fully coat the asparagus.
- Once your barbecue is ready, place the asparagus onto the grill until well coloured but not black - the asparagus should still have a crunch to them.
- Serve with the bowl of rapeseed mayonnaise.