BBQ ROMANESCO WITH LEMON & HAZELNUT DRESSING
Romanesco is perfect chargrilled and tossed with a bright, lemony dressing spiked with toasted hazelnuts.
50g toasted hazelnuts, skinless
1 lemon, freshly juiced and zested
1 banana shallot, finely diced
50ml Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
A pinch of caster sugar
Maldon sea salt & pepper to taste - from our Chef's Staples
22 month Parmigiano Reggiano
- Remove the outer leaves from the romanesco. Cut the romanesco into quarters, leaving the stalk intact.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and season well with sea salt. Place the romanesco into the water and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and carefully place into a bowl of ice water for several minutes – this will stop the cooking process. Remove from the water, pat dry and set aside until you’re ready to BBQ.
- Using a pestle and mortar, lightly crush the toasted hazelnuts. Add the chopped shallots, pinch of sugar, and the lemon zest and juice, and mix well. Add the extra virgin olive oil and season to taste. Set aside at room temperature until ready to use.
- Brush the romanesco lightly with olive oil and season with salt.
- Once the barbecue is hot, grill the romanesco quarters for 2-3 mins on each side, until softened on the outside but still crunchy on the inside – getting a good, dark sear on the romanesco is critical to bringing out the nutty flavor of the vegetable.
- Transfer to a serving dish, spoon over your hazelnut and lemon dressing, and finish with some grated Parmigiano Reggiano.