Refined dessert by Michelin Star chef Michael Wignall. Chef Patron, the Angel at Hetton.
168g egg whites
168g caster sugar
126g icing sugar, sieved
A pinch of Maldon Sea Salt
A pinch of citric acid
500g of Annabel’s British Strawberries, with 8 strawberries set aside
30g caster sugar
Quarter of a vanilla pod (optional)
5 black cardamom pods, crushed
100g Clotted Cream
10g of Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Place egg whites, castor sugar, citric acid and a pinch of salt into a bowl and warm over a pan of simmering water.
- Continuously whisk until the mixture has reached a temperature of 50°c.
- Place into a mixer, fitted with a whisk and mix on high speed until glossy and forms stiff peaks.
- Remove from the mixer and carefully fold in the icing sugar – this is best done in four or five stages.
- Place into a piping bag and pipe approximately 60mm round peaks onto silicon or greaseproof paper.
- Place into a preheated oven at 90°c with zero humidity for ninety minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool fully and keep in an airtight container until ready to use.
- For the Strawberries. Hull all of the strawberries and place into a blender and mix on full speed.
- Pour into a small pan and add cardamom, vanilla and sugar.
- Slowly heat for 15-20 minutes, until reduced by one quarter. Remove from the heat and cover with cling film.
- Allow to cool and infuse. Once cool, pass through a fine sieve and set aside.
- To assemble. Cut the strawberries set aside, into 3-4 pieces (depending on size) and dress with the puree.
- Spoon out a generous amount of clotted cream onto the centre of the plate and spoon over the strawberries.
- Break your meringue into several pieces and place randomly around the plate and on top of your strawberries and clotted cream. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.