HOT APPLE CRUMBLE SOUFFLE
A show-stopping dessert featuring Bramley apples by Leigh Myers, resident chef at Wellocks at Home. For any questions on how to cook the ingredients in your Best of British Selection, tweet Leigh @wellockshome #AskChefLeigh
For the apple
2 Bramley apples from this week’s Best of British Selection
1 tbsp cornflour
4 Cacklebean Egg whites
100g Billington’s Golden Caster Sugar
- Cut the apple just above half way, scoop out the flesh and discard the seeds.
- Place the flesh into a pan with a little water and cook until the apple has turned into a fine pulp. Thicken with the cornflour and reserve to one side – this is your apple coulis.
- For the crumble, crumb butter and flour. Add sugar and ground almonds, place onto a tray and bake in an oven until golden brown.
- For the soufflés, whisk egg the whites with sugar until a meringue forms. Make a paste with apple coulis and a little of the meringue and fold the remaining meringue.
- To assemble, mix in a little of the crumble mix, place into the scooped out apples. Cover the top with more crumble.
- Bake at 180ᵒc until fully risen – approximately 10-12 minutes.