ROUND SHALLOT TARTE TATIN
This savoury twist on the classic French Tarte Tatin, by resident chef Andrew Parker, uses sweet round shallots to create the perfect alternative savoury Christmas Day centrepiece.
20 round shallots
60g caster sugar
30g Estate Dairy Unsalted Cultured Butter
250g puff pastry, prepared
- Preheat your oven to 180ºc.
- Peel your shallots and place to one side.
TIP: Before peeling your shallots place them into a bowl, pour over boiling water to submerge them and leave for 5-10 minutes. This will soften the skin and make them easier to peel.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and spread evenly into a non-stick frying pan with a metal handle or pie tin. Then add the sugar to the pan and place to one side.
- Roll out your puff pastry to 5mm thickness and cut a circle 1.5 inches bigger in diameter that your pan or pie tin. Place onto a tray and put into the fridge to rest.
- Place your shallots into your pan or pie tin, on top of the butter and sugar to cover the pan.
- Then cover the shallots with the pastry, tucking down the edges to form a dome.
- Place the pan over a medium heat and start to caramelise the sugar, once golden place into the oven for approximately 20 minutes or when the pastry is cooked and golden.
- Remove from the oven and invert onto a plate. Allow to cool slightly before serving.