SANGUINELLI BLOOD ORANGE CREPES SUZETTE
With pancake day around the corner, what better way to make the most of the beautiful Sanguinelli blood oranges from this week's Best in Season Selection than with this fantastic crepes suzette recipe.
For the crepes
1 Cacklebean egg
60g Wessex Mill self-raising flour
110ml Estate Dairy whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1tsp Billington's golden caster sugar
1 tsp Sanguinelli blood orange zest
pinch of salt
50g Estate Dairy unsalted cultured butter
For the candied orange slices
1 litre water
500g Billington's golden caster sugar
2 Sanguinelli blood oranges, sliced
- Place the water and sugar into a saucepan and bring to a slow simmer. Add the sliced oranges and let them simmer until they begin to soften.
- Take the oranges out of the water and place onto a rack to cool.
- Whisk the egg and gradually add the flour to combine into a thick batter. Add the milk, vanilla extract,
- Heat a frying pan and add ½ tsp of butter to cover the pan. Add a ladle of batter and swirl until it has covered the surface of the pan. Cook for 1 minute and then flip, cooking for another minute. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Fold each pancake in four and then set to one side.
- Place the sugar into a heavy bottom pan and let it melt on a low heat until you get a light caramel.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the blood orange juice, zest, Cointreau and butter.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the candied orange slices until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Finally, add the folded crepes into the pan and continue to cook until warmed through.
- Place your crepes onto a plate, add a tablespoon of the sauce and garnish with the orange slices, banana, raspberries, flaked almonds and a dusting of icing sugar.
Serve and enjoy!