STEAK AND ALE PIE
STEAK AND ALE PIE
To celebrate British Pie Week our friends at Northcote Cookery School have shared their delicious traditional steak and ale pie recipe with a delicious homemade shortcrust pastry and chunky steak pieces - the perfect winter pie.
For the filling - makes 1 pie
250g hand diced beef from this week's British Meat Selection
40g diced pancetta, lightly fried
1 brown onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, chopped
150ml Deer Stalker Bowland Ale
300ml beef stock
200ml chicken stock
2 sprigs of thyme
2 banana shallots, quartered
2 tbsp fécule, mixed with a little cold water, for thickener
For the pastry
1. Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs and a little water and mix together until a smooth paste is formed.
3. Wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hour.
For the filling
1. In a large saute pan, brown off the diced chuck beef. Once browned, add the garlic and diced onion and cook until the veg has softened.
2. Add the ale and reduce by half (Not too much or it will become bitter). Add the beef & chicken stock and thyme.
3. Place a cartouche on the pan with a lid on top and allow to simmer gently on the hob for approximately 2 hours.
4. After 2 hours, remove the cartouche and add the pancetta and shallots then return to a simmer for another 30 minutes. Add a little more stock if needed to ensure you have enough to create a decent gravy.
5. Once all the meat is tender bring the pan back to the boil and stir in the fécule to thicken. Once thickened to the right consistency, put to one side ready for building.
1. Roll out the pastry and line the pie tins.
2. Add the filling until the pie is full.
3. Cover with a pastry lid and crimp the edges then brush with egg wash.
4. Bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes until golden.
Serve and enjoy!